In a message dated 2/26/2004 12:07:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> We use AUX ON / AUX OFF for local printers already. The problem is, we want
> to be able to specify which local printer to use as the AUX. So, when the
> user is printing a CC receipt, it would print to the printer attached to the
> PC that is defined as the CC receipt printer. But, when the user is trying
> to print a report, it would print to the local laser printer (which could
> also be a networked printer). One way to do this is to have the user switch
> the local printer within SmartTerm, but we wanted to try to handle this in
> the software, if possible, because...well, you know how users are.

Dana I'm a little confused.  You are using local printers using Aux on/Aux
off.  This means that the printer must be directly connected to the terminal/PC
right?  So I thought it sounded like you wanted to have two printers directly
attached to one terminal/PC.

If this is *not* what you want to do, then why not just network all your
printers?
If it *is* what you want, you also have the option of using two serial ports
off your terminal/PC.  Some terminals have two serial and one parallel port as
well.  And for PCs you can always add another serial or parallel card to add
another port.

So can you tell us how many CC printers you have, and can each device that
needs to print to one have its own?  Or do you have something like 100 terminals
wanted to print and only 12 CC printers?

Thanks
Will Johnson