Dear All,

I will give IBM a call about this but thought I would ask the list first.  Before
signing up for the most expensive RHEL AS option, I am checking to see if 6.0.5 will
run on RHEL ES 2.1.  This seems quite reasonable to me as the 2 CPU limit on the ES
product would suffice for many U2 sites.

The problem I have struck is the udtinstall script runs a program called
$UDTBIN/systest and on ES this segfaults as below.

            IPC Facilities Test Results
            ----------------------------

    Max # of Shmem Segments: 4091
# of Shmem Seg. Per Process: 4091
  Max / Min Shmem Seg. Size: 134217728 (128M) / 1
                     SHMLBA: 4096 (4K)

    Max # of Message Queues: 128
    Max # of Bytes On Queue: 16384 (16K)
           Max Message Size: -1 (unknown)

        Max # of Semaphores: 128
   Max # of Undo Structures: -1

Segmentation fault

This is a critical part of the install as it tests system memory parameters and
generates the udtconfig file.

The obvious answer is ES is not a certified release, AS is, but what intrigues me is
6.0.5 is certified on pretty much everything else (7.1, 7.2, 7.3, 8.0, RHEL AS on 2
different kernels) so I'm curious as to why it seems to fail on ES.  Redhat state that
the WS/ES/AS versions are based on the same core kernel, libraries and utilities.

I did manage a work around by commenting out the systest call in the install script
and copying a udtconfig file from a temporary install of 6.0.5 on 7.3 and a quick test
shows Unidata starting and stopping OK and doing some basic stuff but this isn't a
solution I'd feel comfortable with.

The only idea I have as to why systest is failing on ES is I have stuffed up the
shared memory kernel settings (possibly) or it encounters some function enforcing the
CPU or memory limits on the ES product that aren't present on the AS version or any of
the other releases and chokes.

So, has anyone else attempted this and did they manage to find anything?

Thanks,

Adrian