The most common cause of this in my experience is incorrect use of flow
control with serial printers.

For the non-techies (are there any on this list?)....  Your UV system can
probably produce data faster than the printer can handle it so it needs a
way to say "stop!".  There are fundamentally two techniques in use though
there are variants.

The first technique uses one of the wires in the printer cable (DTR - Data
Terminal Ready), to say stop/go.  The other technique sends a character
(X-OFF, Ctrl-S) from the printer to the computer to say stop and (X-ON,
Ctrl-Q) to say go.  (If you've ever wondered why this works on most terminal
output processes, they often do the same).

If your computer is set up to use DTR but your printer is expecting to use
X-OFF/X-ON, the system is not going to stop sending data when required and
you lose characters.  Obviously, the same happens if the settings are the
other way around too.

A variation on this which is more difficult to find is that not some low
cost serial cables don't have a DTR wire.  So, you printer says stop but
this never gets to the other end of the cable.

You say that this is an infrequent problem.  Although that makes this sort
of scenario less likely, it can still happen because many modern printers
have buffers large enough to hold quite big print jobs.

Martin Phillips
Ladybridge Systems
17b Coldstream Lane, Hardingstone, Northampton NN4 6DB
+44-(0)1604-709200