> Is it technically or theoretically possible for the BASIC
> compiler (or any other compiler for that matter) to catch
> (during compilation) all the situations that might result in
> the use of unassigned variable at runtime within the scope of
> the subroutine being compiled?

It's not exactly an answer, but one useful thing the compiler does
currently allow is the "-X" option to generate a symbol map.

"BASIC BP XYZ -X" generates BP.L XYZ which has shows a cross-reference
map of where each variable is assigned or used.

I typically search for variables that are assigned but never referenced,
referenced but never assigned, or look for patterns of use that might
tell me something, such as variables you meant to use in one section,
yet unexpectedly crop up in the map somewhere else.  Misspelled
variables stick out like sore thumbs.

Comparing the map of the old version to that of the new can be useful.

cds