I have some UOJ code that runs a program on the database host and
creates a file in _HOLD_.

This is on HP-UX 11, and _HOLD_ has these permissions:
drwxrws---   2 user1    live         37888 Mar 10 09:08 _HOLD_

But, when I run the UOJ program, the file gets created like this:
-rw-r--r--   1 user2    live          4729 Mar 10 08:59
FFAREP.02.WSMOAK.031004

We use a single user ID for all UOJ connections, so everything created
by UOJ is owned by that user.

These incorrect permissions (should be -rw-rw---) cause major problems
because now if the user runs the report from the telnet interface while
logged in as himself, he cannot overwrite the file.  He keeps getting
the last one created from the UOJ code (web interface) no matter what
parameters he fills in.

The permissions are set properly if I log in as myself and run the same
program from the colon prompt:
-rw-rw----   1 user3     live         3158 Mar 10 09:28
FFAREP.02.WSMOAK.031004
(And if I just use touch to create an empty file.)

I'm not sure what's happening.  Is there a umask somewhere that's
subtracting my group write permission?  But a umask could not *add* the
world readable permission, so I don't think that's it.  Default
permissions somewhere in the OS?

If I have to I can always PCPERFORM a chmod in the program that creates
the file, but I'd much prefer that it work the same way from UOJ as from
the colon prompt.

Does anyone know what's going on and how to fix it?

--
Wendy Smoak
Application Systems Analyst, Sr.