A good reason would be that your have just put your server under the control of some
very cpu intensive software.  I've seen to many cases where our networking guys
cranked up Norton or some other anti virus product on the database servers and brought
them to their collective knees.  One of the great problems with Windoze (IMHO) is that
it presents a pretty and familiar face.  This results in stuff running on servers that
simply should not be there (screen savers, anit viri scanners, games, etc).

I say, don't run that anti virus junk on my db server and I won't crank up SQL server
on your firewall or PDC!!

Don Kibbey
Financial Systems Manager
Finnegan, Henderson, Farabow, Garrett & Dunner LLP

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/24/04 12:54PM >>>
You have to give me good reason not to run Antivirus on a server.  For
example, it causes the applications to hose up (which would suck but I know
happens).

Because I agree, there are too many opportunities for infection and a
multi-layered defense is better than a single-layered defense.

Signed, Once-an-Information-Security-Officer, Cyndi