In a message dated 3/30/2004 7:34:27 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
writes:

> Trevor,
>    I *think* the issue is that the mv runtime does typecast variables
> on the fly, transparently. Which means that assigning a number or the
> result of a numeric expression (AVAR = 1 * 3) results in AVAR becoming
> an Integer variable. If you then say something 'string-ish'  (AVAR =
> "The answer is " : AVAR)  then the variable is recast on
> the fly into a
> String variable.
>
>    - Charles "Constant" Barouch

Chuck (if that is your real name) yes you are correct.
The runtime engine recasts on the fly, but it leaves the recast variable as the new
type until required to change it so

A = 1 ; * a is cast as numeric
PRINT "Hello world" ; * A is still numeric
A = A:"stuff" ; * A is now recast as a string
OPEN "MYFILE" TO XXX ; * A is still a string
A = A + 0 ; * A is now recast as a numeric again

My point is that any intervening operations on other variables don't change the last
casting of A, only a forced "become a string!" or "become a numeric!" will recast it.

"Recasting beings in ten minutes" Will Johnson