There are a variety of ways that this can be achieved.
1. the records are stored in the relational database as a raw string
including value marks etc.  This is meaningless data to DB2 users.
2. The data is converted into two dimensional databases, requiring data
typing, length definitions, etc.   Dirty data will be an issue that can
be covered a number of ways.  The data will still look multi dimensional
to the application.

The index data and dictionary will likely stay in universe.
For performance the record locking will probably remain in Universe,
meaning there can be no updating from the DB2 side or there will be
corruption.  RDBMS cannot handle row locking as efficiently as PICK.

Regards

David Jordan
Managing Consultant
[EMAIL PROTECTED]