I did a course of Function Point count years ago...we use it for a client of
ours...althought it is being phased out somewhat...

Here's the first thing we were told...and quote:

"Definition of Function Points:
- Function Points are a unit of measure
- Function Points measure the work product of software development
- The work-product is expressed in terms of functionality as seen by the
customer
- Function points DO NOT MEASURE the internal architectural or technological
complexity of an application"

There are there types of function point counts (FPC) (representing work done
by developers):
- Development (new development project)
- Enhancement (enhancement to an existing application)
- Application (counting an existing installed application)

It is complex topic and more than a bit off-topic for this forum...also a
very very dry subject. *Yawn* ;-)

"Advantages of Function Points:

- Based on well-defined counting standards
- Based of the customer's logical perspective
- Applicable to new development, enhancements and maintenance
- Independent of technology and languages
- A consistent sizing metric"

It's not for everyone, but FPC has its place.

Regards,
David