Hello all,
 Today was the first time that i ever noticed there was a Universe
newsgroup. I have been programming in pick basic for over a year now...since
i finished college. The main area that i work is in developing web
applications using c++ ATL, Visual Basic, Java, Javascript, asp, vbscript,
and the UV database, so i have a pretty good idea of how a web app and
Universe should get along. Although i am pretty young and still a junior-
level programmer, I hope that i will be beneficial to this group. My
knowledge of universe is fairly small, as i have had no one to mentor me
except for a few old pick technical manuals and the UV help feature.

Anyway, about two months ago i installed an ibm f50 running aix 4.3 and uv
10.7. This system was designed to work with the client's main system by
making data accesible to the Internet. The two systems are connected through
a pix firewall. I used the UV 10.7 replication feature to replicate data
between the two systems. The frequency of replication is 1 minute.
 Yesterday. the publishing system, another risc running on aix 5.1 with UV
10.7, began to periodically give the error message 'udr log daemon is not
responding, will try again' when trying to update certain files on
publishing system. When the error message appears, the files will not be
updated. A few seconds later, the same file may be updated without an error
message.
 While examining, I noticed that the uvlog file created yesterday that the
publisher stores the information for the client to update itself from was
still in the directory. I have noticed that normally this file grows to
about 5 mb, clears itself, deletes itself, and creates a new file. The new
file was created, files are still being updated, but the old file is still
there.
 This message does not occur very frequently, but it is on a live system and
has the users pretty upset... making me look pretty bad. unfortunately i do
not have the knowledge or the resources to do the necessary tests to
understand what the problem is.

Any advice from those with more experience than I would be greatly
appreciated.
Thank You,
Jeremy
--