I understand.  Im just testing this at the command line.  Here is the output
of the stop;

C:\SCRIPTS>stopuv

C:\SCRIPTS>net stop uvtelnet
The UniVerse Telnet Service service is stopping.
The UniVerse Telnet Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\SCRIPTS>net stop universe
The UniVerse Resource Service service is stopping.
The UniVerse Resource Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\SCRIPTS>net stop hsrexec
The UniVerse REXEC Service service is stopping.
The UniVerse REXEC Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\SCRIPTS>net stop unirpc
The Uni RPC Service service is stopping.
The Uni RPC Service service was stopped successfully.

C:\SCRIPTS>type stopuv.bat
net stop uvtelnet
net stop universe
net stop hsrexec
net stop unirpc

C:\SCRIPTS>

XP has a 'thing' where you can do something like   run1.bat && run2.bat or
run1.bat || run2.bat
This says that the second command runs only if the first is not successful
or vice versa.

So, with this you could say stop and if it fails go to try again until it
stops.  The problem is that is coming back 'ok'.
It would be nice to do a 'ps -ef | grep uv' , but I don't think there is a
windows equivalent.

Anthony