UAI Causal Structure Learning Workshop

                              Second Call for Papers

                 Saturday, August 18, 2012, Catalina Island

                        *** Submission Deadline May 25 ***

Determining causal relationships from observations and experiments is fundamental to human reasoning, decision making and the advancement of science. The aim of this workshop is to bring together researchers interested in the challenges of causal structure learning from observational and experimental data especially when latent or confounding variables may be present.

Topics related to causal structure learning will be explored through a set of tutorials, invited talks, spotlight presentations and a poster session.

Example Topics:
===============

* Causal structure learning via regularization/priors.
* Using non-parametric/generalized independence constraints for structure learning in the presence of confounding.
* Methods exploiting linearity and additivity.
* Approaches for learning structure from deterministic data.
* Algorithms for learning from overlapping datasets.
* Methods for combining experimental and observational data.
* Procedures for selecting experiments.
* Methods for predicting the effects of interventions in an observed system.
* Efficient data structures and algorithms for structure search.
* Methods for analyzing causal pathways.
* Applications of causal structure learning to real-world datasets.

Paper Submission
================

Submissions should be in UAI format, limited to 9 pages, excluding references. All papers will be peer reviewed by at least two independent referees. Papers must be submitted via e-mail to:

causalstructurelearning2...@gmail.com.

We encourage co-submission of papers that have been submitted to the main UAI 2012 conference; our submission deadline comes before the UAI acceptance deadline. If accepted for UAI, the paper would be published in UAI proceedings, but we will invite a poster presentation at the Workshop also.

Workshop format
===============

Broadly, this one-day workshop aims at exploring the current challenges in structure learning. It will explore these topics in tutorials and invited talks. In addition, we will have a poster session with spotlight presentations highlighting new contributions and research directions.

Dissemination of results
========================

We will disseminate papers and talks via the workshop web-page.

Important Dates
===============

    * 21 May 2012:      Abstract submission
    * 25 May 2012:      Full paper submission
    * 18 June 2012:     Author notification
    * 18 August 2012:   Workshop
      (following the UAI2012 main conference, Aug 15-17)

Organizers

Dominik Janzing;        MPI for Intelligent Systems, Tuebingen
Marloes Maathuis;       ETH Zurich
Chris Meek;             Microsoft Research
Thomas Richardson;      University of Washington
Peter Spirtes;          Carnegie-Mellon University
Jin Tian;               Iowa State University