The Health and AI lab is directed by Samantha Kleinberg and funded by the NIH,
NSF, and James S. McDonnell foundation. We work on better understanding
observational data, motivated by real problems in healthcare. For researchers
interested in working with challenging real-world data, our collaborations with
clinicians at Columbia University and other institutions allow for unique
access to patient data along with the opportunity to have a tangible impact on
patient care.

Selected current projects include:

*Causal inference and explanation with prior knowledge: We aim to make better
use of prior inferences and domain knowledge, while being robust to cases where
this may be wrong or inapplicable.

*Causality in complex systems: We’re developing methods for causal inference
across time and space, at multiple scales. The project includes better
understanding nonstationarity and the evolution of causality over time, and
expanding causal inference beyond variables to understand causes for changes in
system properties.

*Mobile health/device development: Recognizing when, what, and how much people
eat from body-worn sensors (audio and motion). We are working on automating
calorie counting and developing unobtrusive devices to do this.

Candidates are sought with expertise in a subset of the following areas:
-Causal inference
-Analysis of time series data
-Biomedical informatics
-HCI and activity recognition
-Sensor and device development

Requirements include evidence of publication in major AI or ML conferences
(IJCAI, AAAI, ICML, NIPS, UAI) along with a PhD in Computer Science or a
related field.

Review of applications will begin on 6/15. Initial appointments will be for one
year, but funding is available for 4-5 years.