The Aalto Robot Learning research group is seeking a talented PhD student with
strong interest in Robot Learning and Mobile Manipulation.

The Aalto Robot Learning research group operates in the intersection of
artificial intelligence and robotics. In particular, we focus on developing
methods for reinforcement learning, robotic manipulation, decision making under
partial observability, imitation learning, and decision making in multi-agent
systems. The goal of the research group is to help robots understand what they
need to learn in order to perform their assigned tasks, and, thus, make robots
capable of operating on their own and pro-actively help humans. To accomplish
these goals the research group develops novel decision making methods and uses
these methods to solve unsolved robotic tasks. For more information, please see
https://rl.aalto.fi

The main task of the doctoral candidate will be to develop methods for mobile
manipulation and utilize them on real robots such as our Boston Dynamics Spot
robot with a Spot arm. The developed methods may be based on one of our focus
areas including, but not limited to, reinforcement learning, planning under
uncertainty, or imitation learning. The goal is to allow robots to operate in
unstructured partially observable real-world environments such as those found
in construction or households where the environments change and are not fully
known beforehand.

The exact direction of the research is chosen depending on your experience and
interests. Please relate clearly to some of the research topics in your Letter
of Motivation.

Outstanding students and researchers from the areas of Machine Learning, AI,
and Robotics and related areas including Reinforcement Learning, Control
Engineering, Computer Vision, Statistics & Optimization, or Mathematics &
Physics are welcome to apply. The candidate is expected to conduct independent
research and at the same time contribute to the topics listed above. Successful
candidates can furthermore be given the opportunity to work with undergraduate,
M.Sc. and PhD students.

The research group collaborates with research groups in computer vision,
robotics, deep learning, construction, mobile heavy machines, human-robot
interaction, reinforcement learning, imitation learning, multi-agent systems,
under-water vehicles, and robot motion planning. Moreover, two of the PhD
students in the research group are located at the Intelligent Autonomous
Systems institute at TU Darmstadt, Germany so there will be ample opportunities
for international collaboration.

WE OFFER
A PhD student position with a starting date in November 2021 or as mutually
agreed. The salary will be based on both the job requirements and the
employee’s personal performance in accordance with the salary system of Finnish
universities. A typical starting salary for a doctoral candidate is
approximately 2500 EUR/month. The salary increases with experience. We offer a
wide range of staff benefits, such as occupational health care, flexible
working hours, excellent sports facilities on campus and several restaurants
and cafés on campus with staff discounts.

HOW TO APPLY
Please submit your application through our online recruitment system. Click
"Apply" at the beginning of the web page
https://aalto.wd3.myworkdayjobs.com/en-US/aalto/job/Otaniemi-Espoo-Finland/PhD-Student-Position-in-Robot-Learning-for-Mobile-Manipulation_R32025

The closing date for applications is October 24th, 2021 (23:59 EEST (GMT+3)).
Please write your application and all the accompanying documentation in English
and attach them in PDF format.

Please attach only the following documents to your application:
* A letter of motivation and description of your research interests (max. 1
page)
* Curriculum vitae (including the contact details of two referees).
* A list of publications (if any) as a part of the curriculum vitae
* PDF copy of your MSc and BSc degree certificates, including transcripts of
all university records and their English translations (Finnish and Swedish
certificates are also accepted)

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
For further information, please contact Assistant Professor Joni Pajarinen,
joni.pajari...@aalto.fi. Additional information in recruitment process related
questions, please contact HR Coordinator Jaana Hänninen,
jaana.hanni...@aalto.fi.

ABOUT AALTO UNIVERSITY, HELSINKI, AND FINLAND
Aalto University (aalto.fi) is located in Finland. Finland is among the best
countries in the world according to many quality of life indicators, including
being the happiest country in the world (UN study 2018 and The World Happiness
Report 2019) and the safest country in the world (World Economic Forum report
2017). Aalto University is the foremost university in Finland in Engineering,
Design and Business. Less than a 15 minutes metro ride away from center of
Helsinki, capital of Finland, Aalto offers access to rich cultural and social
life to help maintain healthy work-life balance.

Aalto University is a community of bold thinkers where science and art meet
technology and business. We are committed to identifying and solving grand
societal challenges and building an innovative future. Aalto has six schools
with nearly 11 000 students and a staff of more than 4000, of which 400 are
professors. Our main campus is located in the Helsinki metropolitan area,
Finland. Diversity is part of who we are, and we actively work to ensure our
community’s diversity and inclusiveness in the future as well. This is why we
warmly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to join our
community.