I agree with the decision to push back the release until Jono's return from
his trip, for the same reasons Jono has described. I was listening in on the
conversation with Atul and it seems like the logical choice. Jono being gone
for the whole support phase following the release would be pretty bad, and
coupled with the server-side problems I think we need to push it back. On a
side note, with this extra time I'm excited about the possibility of getting
noun first suggestions into 0.5 in a way that's more reflective of what we
were advertising with the 0.5pre blog posts and so forth, though modified to
avoid DDOS attacks of course =)

-Brandon

On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Jono <[email protected]> wrote:

>
> P.S.
> I think we should keep releasing 0.5pre versions periodically during
> the next three weeks.  Aza will take care of organizing that effort.
> --Jono
>
> On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 4:52 PM, Jono<[email protected]> wrote:
> > Hey everybody,
> > Software is hard.
> > I feel bad to even suggest this after how hard all the Ubiquity
> > contributors have been working towards this release over the past few
> > weeks, but I am thinking about pushing the 0.5 release back a couple
> > more weeks, until I have returned from my trip.  I just got done
> > talking to Atul and he strongly suggested doing so, for the following
> > reasons:
> >
> > 1. The server-side components (bug reporter, command search engine,
> > etc) are not anywhere near ready.  I've been working on them all day
> > and discovered that the job is much, much bigger than I thought.  I
> > thought it was going to be a one-day thing but it looks more like we
> > will have to seriously rethink the server infrastructure if we want to
> > offer bug reporting and command search services to our users.
> >
> > 2. Support:  After we release 0.5 onto addons.mozilla.com, since it is
> > such a big change to how ubiquity works, there is bound to be a huge
> > influx of users with support requests, maybe more serious bugs
> > discovered, etc.  This would be happening while I was gone and not
> > able to help with any of the support work.  Leaving the users hanging
> > with new problems due to 0.5 might be a worse thing to do to them than
> > making them wait another couple of weeks to get 0.5.
> >
> > 3. Features: If we push it back, we will have time to try to put in
> > some of the features we cut out:  Suggestion memory, provider-plugin
> > arguments, and most of all, asynchronous noun-first suggestion (in a
> > way that doesn't count as a DDOS attack on Yelp).
> >
> > So, if we push it back, then we'll be able to do a more polished
> > release, with the server-side components working, and at a time when
> > I'll be available to help with the support and bug fixing and the
> > inevitable patches that will be needed.
> >
> > This isn't just my decision, though.  What does everybody else think
> > of pushing the release back?
> > --Jono
> >
>
> >
>


-- 
Brandon James Pung
Massachusetts Institute of Technology Class of 2010
Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
828.777.8640 | [email protected]

--~--~---------~--~----~------------~-------~--~----~
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups 
"ubiquity-firefox" group.
To post to this group, send email to [email protected]
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to 
[email protected]
For more options, visit this group at 
http://groups.google.com/group/ubiquity-firefox?hl=en
-~----------~----~----~----~------~----~------~--~---

Reply via email to