Thanks so much for the help! java -version shows me running jre 1.7.0_111. I found someone else on google had this problem and they ran "sudo apt-get install icedtea-netx" I just tried that and I got airview!

Now the next problem is how do I navigate the airview? And how do I get the view to scroll away from the bottom so I can see the bottom half of screen? I use a small notebook running Lubuntu, but should I use something else, I might have a similar problem with sizing the window

Jan V