Mainly it's UI responsiveness.  We have single sites w/ ~300 APs and ~5k
users and this works fine.  Depending on roaming behavior, the client
machine looking at the controller becomes the limit.

So if you are looking at the UI, using a nice computer it will still be
super-snappy w/ lots of users on a single site.

Smaller sites have much less impact - as statistics are only being shown
for the sites being currently looked at.