Hello,

Thank you for the UBNT direct response. Your email was a huge contradiction, it says it's not motivated by lawyers then goes on to say it's a "Regulatory requirement" (lawyers). You say it's not to prevent putting specific software (Cambium or otherwise) on your device" then in the next paragraph says "to prevent software which is not ours running on our devices"

You go on to say "it improves airMAX system security" which means we are losing improvements to the firmware in exchange for the agreement that we never run Cambium's patch to certain towers where GPS is essential but unavailable by UBNT thus forcing us to change out radios that will sync, a promise broken repeatedly by UBNT as we were buying newer radios (titaniums and first generation Prisims, with ones that do sync today without having to change all CPE at an enormous cost.

Ubiquiti is responsible for the migration away from their product with the years of misleading information about sync so now trying to make it impossible to use the firmware of our choice is a corporate decision, not a technically based one. It's ironic that UBNT was founded by being the radio chip provider managed by Mikrotik software, now they seem to have come full circle.

Regards,
Forbes Mercy

     Re: 6.0.6 isn't an upgrade, it's a legal brick

<https://community.ubnt.com/t5/airMAX-M-Beta/6-0-6-on-official-download-is-it-beta-or-release-REAL-JUNK/m-p/1988158#M26986>

@WABroadband <https://community.ubnt.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/27397> Let me be very clear - this has nothing to do with preventing you from putting specific software (Cambium or otherwise) on your device, nor is it driven by lawyers in any way. Radios are also not bricked, nor are they sabotaged at all. No one is forced to upgrade and there is no modification of the user agreement here.

It is a regulatory requirement to prevent software which is not ours running on our devices, and also improves airMAX system security. These same protections are implemented on other products and by other vendors.