> > Henrik writes:
> > Speech dispatcher -- According to their website the SD gnome-speech
> > driver will soon be shipped with gnome-speech. How mature is this?

Hello,

this is true that a driver for Speech Dispatcher we in Brailcom
developed will be shipped with Gnome Speech. It is already in CVS and
will be in the next releases. It is useful for now, but it is by no
means a great solution. It has some drawbacks, some of them result from
trying to glue two things together with a little different design that
were originally intended to sit at the same level. Other drawbacks are
actually drawbacks in Gnome Speech itself. The worst thing is that it is
currently impossible to switch languages at runtime in this setup.

We think a better approach for the future would be to add Speech
Dispatcher support to Orca. It does not mean Orca would need to
abandon Gnome Speech for that reason. To my knowledge, Orca
is prepared to have multiple backends. It would be great if
this would be done.

> > Should we standardise on SD for speech output in Ubuntu? What else is
> > needed, configuration interfaces?

Yes, a configuration interface would be nice. Not just for Dispatcher
but also for things like Festival.

Luke Yelavich writes:
> KDE are planning to use speech-dispatcher for their back-end. IMO Sun
> were stupid in creating gnome-speech, although I am pretty sure they did
> it at a time when there wasn't really anything else.

Not stupid. The two things started to be developed in parallel without
knowing much about each other. Since then, the intention is to unify.
But it is complicated by the different design. Now we at least all
decided to create TTS API, a low level interface to the speech engines
drivers and share the drivers.

> IMO we rip the gnome-speech support out of orca, and use speech-dispatcher
> directly. I am pretty sure SD has python bindings, and speech-dispatcher
> as far as I have seen is a ittle easier to program for.

As I explained above, there is no need to rip gnome-speech support out
of Orca to be able to add direct support for Speech Dispatcher. There
are Python bindings for Speech Dispatcher. I don't think the whole
task is very difficult.

> I think there is also a FSG accsessibility mailing list, although I
> haven't looked for it yet. I will probably look into that sometime soon.

There is also the ongoing work on TTS API from Brailcom, Gnome, KDE and
several other accessibility projects. The main discussion place
for that is the [EMAIL PROTECTED] mailing list hosted
on www.freedesktop.org . If somebody is interested to help, please
join the list.

With regards,
Hynek Hanke