Thanks Will.  That clarifies things somewhat - we're using the term
"modifier key" differently.  Maybe I'll contact you offlist for info on
the internal details.

So does that basically mean this whole discussion of orca on laptops is
moot, or at least addressed fully via orca.settings.orcaModifierKeys
(possibly with a UI for changing it easily) ?

Bill