It can.  You have to go into the time preferences and set your location.
Once that is done, it will read the current temperature.  It seems to
read it every time I press alt-F1 to bring up the applications menu
right before saying applications menu.  You can also use ctrl-alt-tab to
get to the top pannel and tab around until you find it.  It's part of
the clock, so you'll get the time too.
I wonder if that info could be captured from the pannel in a script as
well?  Does anyone know how to go about querying the pannel with Python
code?
Storm