Something in Karmic is causing the volume of sound to mute whenever a
system sound is played. This started I believe yesterday evening August
15. This has been a problem in the past where certain sounds would
automatically drop the volume down or raise it out of control, but this
is the first time I have seen a total drop-out of the master volume all
the way to 0. Things like this seem to happen when pulseaudio is
updated. If you are uninstalling pulseaudio, simply resetting your
master volume should get you talking again. For me, it's more than a
small annoyance, because I try to use pulseaudio, even though I really
don't need it because I have a SoundBlaster Live which does hardware mixing.

Good luck,
Kyle

--
 Jesus you're my life.