On Sat, Oct 24, 2009 at 03:01:25AM EST, Bill Cox wrote:
> Has anyone gotten Orca working well in Karmic Beta?  If so, what
> changes did you have to make?
>
> One thing that seems to have helped was to remove pulseaudio.
> However, before that, you need to install alsa-oss, or you wont have a
> sound system at all.  This seems to have made Orca able to clear out
> the speech-dispatcher queue of sound you don't want to hear.  It's
> still pretty unstable.  I haven't been able to use it in any
> productive way for more than a couple minutes at a time before
> something crashes.

What speech-dispatcher configuration are you using? By default,
speech-dispatcher will try pulse, and fall back to alsa if pulse is not
running/available. Speech-dispatcher, appart from that pain in the neck crasher
which I still can't put a finger on, work quite well together, when the phases
of the sun/moon/earth are aligned etc. :)

Luke