I guess first I need to understand why you want it in system-wide
mode.  Having it ru as user has benefits.  In particular, you can bind
a command like "sh -c 'killall speech-dispatcher; orca --replace'" to
a key like Shift+Ctrl+O, to restart both speech-dispatcher and Orca
when needed.  In theory two different blind users could have different
speech-dispatcher configurations, but I never heard of two blind users
sharing a machine.

I run speech-dispatcher both in system-wide mode, and in user mode.  I
turn on speech-dispatcher in system-wide mode so that I can run
speechd-up and get speakup working with speech-dispatcher.  I prefer
this mode for it's stability.  Speech-dispatcher still crashes now and
then (about every other day for me), in user-space, so it's nice to
have a speakup specific version running that is rock-solid.  For some
reason, the speakup copy of speech-dispatcher just doesn't seem to
crash, but I use Orca far more than speakup.

To get two copies of speech-dispatcher running and playing nicely
together, you need to run PulseAudio in system-wide mode.  In the
future, hopefully, this will be fixed, but for now, I recommend all
users who need speakup run it this way.  Here's how I run PulseAudio
in system-wide mode in Karmic and Lucid:

Edit /etc/defaults/pulseaudio, and change:

    PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=0

    PULSEAUDIO_SYSTEM_START=1

Then, edit /etc/pulse/client.conf, and add the line

    autospawn = no

After the line that says '#autospawn = yes'.  Then, delete the file
/etc/xdg/autostart/pulseaudio.desktop.  Finally, you have to disable
group-based authentication to use the sound system.  This is not
ideal, but it works, and I don't know any way to get the installer to
automatically add users to the pulse-access group.  Edit
/etc/pulse/system.pa.  Find the line that reads:

    load-module module-native-protocol-unix

and change it to read:

    load-module module-native-protocol-unix auth-anonymous=1

Bill