Hi mk360,

I popped onto #ubuntu+1 and asked there, below is the transcript of what was
said:

(16:33:43) phillw: Hi folks, will it be possible to run alsa based sound
cards in 10.04, I note it is going to be using pulse.
(16:33:54) cwillu_at_work: phillw, pulse uses alsa
*cwillu cwillu_at_work *
(16:34:32) phillw: cwillu_at_work: thanks, so I just compile the driver as
per the instructions and pulse will see it ?
(16:35:05) cwillu_at_work: phillw, back up a step, presumably the version of
alsa that's already included isn't working?
(16:35:24) cwillu_at_work: but yes, that's how it should work
(16:35:55) phillw: I'm asking on behalf of one the people in assistive -
(16:35:57) phillw: I'm trying to configure an audio sound card on my ubuntu
becouse it was
(16:35:57) phillw: detected but sounds really low. I downloaded a driver
from the manufacturer,
(16:35:57) phillw: but I've some doubts. The thing is on the readme file all
instructions are
(16:35:57) phillw: for alsa, and I don't know if it is aplicable for the new
ubuntu systems
(16:35:57) phillw: with pulse. my configurations are for karmic or lucid.
(16:36:16) cwillu_at_work: phillw, alsa was never replaced
(16:36:30) cwillu_at_work: alsa is not a competitor to pulse, they do
different things
(16:36:34) phillw: cwillu_at_work: it has instructions for doing it with
ubuntu, so the OP should be able to use them ?
(16:36:48) cwillu_at_work: alsa is what talks to the hardware, pulse is what
talks to applications
(16:37:33) cwillu_at_work: re: volume levels, I assume you've already
checked alsamixer levels?
(16:38:32) phillw: I can suggest that the OP tries that, the manual
installation looks quite involed !!
(16:39:16) kklimonda: phillw: if the drivers has not been added to alsa that
doesn't sound good..
(16:40:24) cwillu_at_work: kklimonda, there are drivers, it's just the
volume was too low
(16:42:05) phillw: cwillu_at_work: I'll ask the OP to check the alsamixer
levels. If they look okay, is there anything else to check before manually
installing it ?
(16:43:53) cwillu_at_work: installing a kernel driver from source should be
just about the last possible thing you try. if it detects it at all, and the
sound isn't actually distorted, then the driver probably isn't the issue. If
it _is_, then you're far better off filing a bug so that it can get fixed
properly (to the extent of packaging that driver up ourselves if need be)
rather than just applying a workaround
(16:44:13) cwillu_at_work: encouraging workarounds just ensures that the
bugs don't actually get fixed
(16:44:23) phillw: .
(16:44:36) cwillu_at_work: so, start with the levels :p
(16:44:40) phillw: Okay, many thanks for your help, hopefully, I won't be
back ;-)

Obviously, if the mixer level does not help, please re-email and I'll have
another chat with the people in #ubuntu+1

Regards,

Phill.