Hi guys
I just found out today that there is a shortcut key to access the messaging,
bluetooth, power and sound indicator menus from anywhere within the
GNOME/Ubuntu desktop. At the moment, I believe this keyboard shortcut is not
configurable, however perhaps someone can look into making this configurable,
if upstream haven't looked into doing so already.

To access the messaging, bluetooth, sound, and power indicator menus, press
Windows key + M, or if you prefer the Unix term, Super + M. Then you use the
arrow keys to move between the menus. When you press escape, focus will return
to whereever you were prior to entering the menus.

I really hope this helps some people. I know I am finding this useful myself.

Luke