Josh

Are your headphones not listed in System - preferences - sound?
They shoud be if lsusb lists the headset.

You ought to be able to select them instead of the onboard sound.

As you have vinux then, another try is to plug them in and then in a
terminal do
$ sudo restoresound

Wait a couple of minutes to s ee if the script completes as it calls
quite a lot of other programs.

Good Luck
Maurice

On 21/08/2010, Josh Kennedy <jkenn...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
> In order to use my usb headphones I have to first plug them in, reboot the
> computer and then they show up in my list of sound choices. I am using
> ubuntu lucid vinux 3.0. But if I plug them in without rebooting if I use
> alsamixer alsamixer says they are there but if I go into the ubuntu alt f1
> menu into system preferences sounds I cannot choose them. I can only choose
> them as a sound card option after rebooting. Why is this? Can this be
> changed? Ubuntu picks up other devices without rebooting so why must I
> reboot just to use usb headphones? email off list at jkenn...@gmail.com
>
> Josh Kennedy
> jkenn...@gmail.com
>

> --