Hi Burt

Sorry for the slow reply. The mail headers of your original post show
that it was only sent to me personally. This is probably gmail's
fault. The recent improvements made by Google caused Quick Reply to
default replies to the individual rather than the list - at least in
basic html mode. This now seems to be corrected where I am anyhow.
Perhaps it has learnt when I kept changing the reply option.

Your original post was probably referring to gnome-mplayer. From
http://packages.ubuntu.com/lucid/gnome-mplayer

"You can play all your multimedia (audio, video, CD, DVDs, and VCDs,
streams etc. with full DVD and MKV chapter support), organize, sort
and create playlists, take screenshots while playing videos, be
notified about media changes, retrieve cover art and more.
Gnome-MPlayer fully supports subtitles giving the ability to specify
preferred audio and subtitle languages."

I have rarely used this program, which has a good reputation, but
rather VLC. So I cannot really comment except to say that VLC is
separate altogether. Mplayer started life as a movie player for
unix-like systems launced from a console but I would expect that the X
window system would have to be running. The gnome prefix is because
the software writers gnome tool kit or GTK has been used to make the
GUI. Mplayer supports a wide range of software and hardware video
systems including X.

The only console audio player I can think of from the top of my head
is cplay. Quote

"cplay provides a user-friendly interface to play various types of
sound files. It offers a simple file list with which you can navigate
around looking for audio files and a playlist to which you can add the
files you want to play. cplay can play the songs in your playlist in
repeat or random mode, and offers the option to store the playlist.

Currently, the following audio formats are supported: MP3 (through
madplay, mpg321 or splay), Ogg Vorbis (through ogg123), MOD and other
module formats (through mikmod or xmp), WAV (through sox) and Speex
(through speex)." Unquote

Sorry to say I've never used this either. This is not a lot of help
but my laptop at work is too low powered to support my Vinux DVD so it
is difficult for me to investigate.

Regards
Maurice

--