Hi all,

one of the actions from UDS was to crack on and get more of the persona documents out, these help us to communicate the need for accessibility considerations to be included in the design process. We have already published Faisal (fine motor control, pain and color blindness) http://ubuntuaccessibility.wordpress.com/2011/01/27/meet-faisal/ and Daniela (fully blind) http://ubuntuaccessibility.wordpress.com/2011/04/06/meet-daniela/ and we have outline plans for Simon (partially sighted), John (deaf) and Henrietta (cognitive and memory issues)

I would like to propose we work together on the remaining personas we want to cover, starting with Simon as the next one to publish. Simon is visually impaired, but not completely blind, so will use a large monitor with screen magnifiers and high contrast settings rather than full time screen reader use. His vision might be getting worse over time, so he might be learning to use Orca, and might like some more audio cues from the desktop.

We are using the following page to collaboratively draft the text http://pad.ubuntu-uk.org/simon and will be chatting in the #ubuntu-accessibility IRC channel. The personas are written to a rough framework of topics which match the personas used internally at Canonical by the design team, so we want to fit in with that, but present some more interesting design challenges.

It would be great to get as many people involved as possible in the drafting and editing process, particularly those with knowledge of visual impairments. The personas should be accurate and informative, and at least as important, they should be interesting and nice people. I am not setting any particular time for working on this, but I imagine there will be people online and active throughout the day for Europe and USA

Alan.

--
The Open Learning Centre is rebranding, find out about our new name and look at
http://libertus.co.uk