Thanks this appears to have worked.

Tom

On Fri, 13 Apr 2012, Dave Hunt wrote:

Hi, Tom!

The first time I did this, I used the unetbootin tool, with commandline options. This put the system onto the flash drive, as if I'd gone through Ubiquity, and started a Unity-3d session, on boot-up,which did not work well. Attempts to change the desktop to Unity-2d, by editing a file in /var/lib/AccountsService/users/ubuntu resulted in a system that would not bring up any kind of desktop. As a result of some discussions on this list, here's what I ended up doing.

Keep in mind, I was already using Trisquel 5.5 beta. If using any ubuntu-style desktop Linux, this will work.

1) insert flash drive;
If nautilus window, showing contents show up, note the volume's name, and close window;
3) open a terminal;
4) sudo -i;
5) enter password for sudo;
6) umount /media/drive-name;
7) dd if=/path-to-iso-file of=/dev/sdb bs=1M;
(this assumes your flash is /dev/sdb, adjust accordingly)
8) when dd command finishes, make sure bits-in and bites-written are equal;
9)exit;
10) close terminal.

If you want persistence:
with flash drive inserted and unmounted, open disk utility or gparted, on your flash drive, you should see one bootable partition the size of the iso file, and the rest of the space as unallocated. Make a new partition of type 'ext3', and call it casper-rw; this is your persistent storage.

HTH,

Dave