Hello, Glenn.

When you boot up your flash drive into Ubuntu, you *should* eventually hear a drum when the system starts. When you hear this sound, you can press CTRL+S to start Orca up. At this point you can choose to Try Ubuntu or Install Ubuntu. In either case, you shoudl be defaulted to Unity 2D as it still is the most accessible of the two environments.

If you decide to install Ubuntu, you can easily install GNOME Shell and GNOME Fallback Session once Ubuntu is installed by the issuing the following commands:

For GNOME Shell:
sudo apt-get install gnome-shell

For GNOME Fallback Session:
sudo apt-get install gnome-session-fallback

The last I tried it, the login screen seemed quite accessible to Orca. When at the login screen on an installed Ubuntu 12.04 system, you can simply press CTRL+S to get Orca up and running. I just checked it, and it even reads the menu for different desktop environment sessions (e.g. Ubuntu, Ubuntu-2D, GNOME, etc).

I hope that this information is helpful to you.

Take care.