Hi Alan,
I managed to install 12.10 beta 1 in virtualbox 4.2  with sighted
assistance.
After installation, I managed to configure, with sighted assistance,
the sound so that  orca is speaking.
The problem is that I have no sound in the login. No orca, no drums.
After I type the password and press the enter key, orca talks normally.

On 09/19/2012 11:07 AM, Alan Bell wrote:
> hello, yes I have had problems with 12.10 in virtualbox for sound,
>
> https://launchpad.net/bugs/1016969
>
> it is possible to get to the pulse audio dialog and change the
> device to one of the two LFE devices, I can try it again later and
> provide the exact key sequence to do so. I didn't tag that bug as
> an a11y bug because it is an "audio totally broken for everyone"
> bug rather than orca specific issue even though it does mean that
> Quantal is basically untestable in virtualbox for blind users. It
> does boot OK when testing on real hardware and you get the drums
> and ctrl+s starts orca as normal. Ubiquity has changed a bit but I
> can get all the way through it without cheating and turning my
> monitor on, I will do a full keystroke guide and audio/video at
> some point pre-release.
>
> Alan.
>
> On 19/09/12 13:54, Peter Vágner wrote:
>> Hello, I am running Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit as the main OS. I have
>> installed virtual box using software centre and checked all the
>> additions during setup e.g. 32 bit kernel support and network
>> ethernet driver. At the end of a virtualbox install I have just
>> rebooted the machine to make sure everything is in its place.
>> Then after the boot I have createda new machine in the virtualbox
>> and I am currently trying to boot a daily live 32 bit image of
>> ubuntu 12:10 inside it. The virtual machine launches I am even
>> getting informative messages regarding direct mouse and keyboard
>> capture but I am not getting that usual drum sounds coming from
>> the guest OS. Is my install of virtualbox screwed or ubuntu 12.10
>> has changed something in this regard? I have also waited some 10
>> minutes in case and pressed ctrl+s without any audible
>> difference. In the virtual machine settings window I have audio
>> turned on and set to pulse.
>>
>> Any possible hints?
>>
>> Is anyone running 12.04 in virtualbox with sound output?
>>
>> oh btw on the host OS I can see vbox channel while looking into
>> the pulseaudio volume control.
>>
>> Greetings
>>
>> Peter

- --