On 12/22/2012 05:39 PM, Peter Vágner wrote:
Hello,
I understand mithtv is full solution but writing qt accessibility support is
going to be damn complicated. It is a huge codebase and no one has ever
considered accessibility before.
I would be happy if something like this existed but I think it is not a project
for a few open-source developers developing in their spare time.

The problem I have is: will it be more complicated, and more kludgy than trying
to extend what I've done by building on MythTV's support for LCD displays? All
of MythTV's user interface objects are subclasses of a base MythUI class, and
there aren't that many subclasses. I think an approach based on Qt
accessibility is doable.

FWIW, I'm retired and I used to be a pretty good developer, so I think I have
the ability and the time to make MythTV accessible to those with no or poor
vision.

Another problem I have, before investing more time and effort, is whether the mythtv devs
would be likely to accept my work into the mainline source code. For that, I think I need
to demonstrate there's a "market" for talking mythtv. That's why I joined this
list. Although mythspeech is not a complete solution, it is a starting point and I would
love it if I could recruit some more users.

BTW do you know projects such as gnome dvb daemon or tvheadent? These dont
implement user interface and perfecting and / or writing a totem plugin for
these would be avesome as well. Those apps can be setup without eye sight even
now however gnome dvb daemon is somewhat buggy and not used frequently and
tvheadent is stable, has web based interface. There is excelent fully
accessible client for Android for it. So maybe oneday someone will like to
create accessible client app for linux as well.

No, I am not familiar with those. I am a MythTV user, and a retired developer,
looking for ways to combine my interests and my skills. I'm not so sure I'm
ready to learn about projects that do less (from my perspective) than MythTV.

Greetings

Peter