Hello,
Ubuntu 14.04 is already released however I am afraid the magnifier is not there by default at least I seem to be unable to find it. In older versions there was a package compizconfig-settings-manager which was supposed to add kind of magnification to unity however it can no longer be installed in 14.04 at least not for me.

I hope this is my ignorance regarding magnifier because up to now I was not interested in making it work. Now I do have a friend around and I would be happy to try get her setup with recent widelly supported linux distro she can use for day to day use.

What am I missing? Do I need to get gnome 3.12 installed for her? She is not that interested in orca but magnifier.

Greetings

Peter