hi
It's not an empty window exactly, it's where you start typing to find
applications and files to work with. It's supposed to say something like
"activities overview. Type to search text" but there's been a bug for
years that hasn't been fixed. There's also a dash on the left side
gotten to by pressing alt+control+tab until you hear "dash push button"
that's similar to the unity dock, although I don't think removable
devices show up on it.
Thanks
Kendell Clark