In Ubuntu GNOME you cannot access the desktop as before. See for a manual:

https://help.ubuntu.com/lts/ubuntu-help/index.html.en

Alt+A shows all installed applications

Press the Super key and navigate with flat review in Favorites.

Press the Super key and start typing to search for an application or file. Typing shutdown can also be uesed to shutdown the computer.

Alt+Control+Tab to navigate to the top panel or to the current window. In the top panel navigate with Arrow keys, you will find System where to connect with wifi, battery and shutdown.

Milton