On 9/1/05, Pascal Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I heard there was a sort of reformation of the art team. The channel is quite
> dead most of the time, and the mailing list isn't really all that active
> either. I'm just wondering because I'd like to apply my skills to the art
> team.

I think it's been a little bit of confusion, a lack of communication
(probably mostly on my part) and a bit of waiting around for some
hardware.

The Art Team page that Jeff mentioned on the wiki is indeed the
"springboard" for all art related info. If you make a how-to, you
should put a link to it there. Having said that, it was my
understanding (or perhaps misunderstanding) when the art team started
that we were going to quickly get an "art.ubuntu.com" website for the
community to start submitting Ubuntu-centric artwork on. From there,
the working members of the art team would be able to glean artwork
from there (or make it ourselves) and that would be the artwork that
would hopefully make it into Breezy. Until yesterday, the only actual
task I thought we were working on was the icon set (that Andrew as
mostly created).

At this point, I've heard that Canonical has a graphic artist that is
going to do anything that we don't get done for the Breezy release.
What I personally would like to see the art team get done is the
icons, the 6 "calendar" wallpapers (for Breezy's lifecycle), and
perhaps a new login and/or GDM splash screen (and we've already had
one suggestion on the list that I thought looked like a great start!).

There's a lot more we *could* do as well - other various splash
screens, perhaps a few more default wallpapers in the main package
(I'd like to see some SVG wallpapers in there, but I'm biased :o). The
best thing to do right now I think is to TALK. Hang out on the IRC
channel as often as possible, keep ideas flowing on this mailing list.
I know Andrew still needs help on the icons (creating new as well as
converting from SVG to PNG). Jeff, if there's more professional
photography you'd like to see worked into the backgrounds, let us know
about that (although I couldn't be happier about the last one that was
released :o).

I'm supposed to be the team coordinator, but Jeff Waugh is (to the
best of my knowledge) still "the Man" as far as what what makes it
into the release. The wiki page has the majority of our goals listed,
but definitely talk about things if you have questions. I'll do my
best to get the resources the community needs and bring things to
Canonical's attention when necessary.

Finally, I'd like to make known a little bit of bad news on my side of
things. I'm sure many have heard about my sore back already, but
yesterday I had the "big" appointment with my doctor to see what
happens next. What that's going to be is a major surgery on November
4th - called a "dynamic stabilization". It involves six big screws in
my spine and a steel cable run between them (at 20 Newtons of presure
I'm told, if that means anything to anyone). Recovery time is
officially about a year, but I'll be seeing the doc at his office
within 3 weeks of the surgery, so I'm assuming that doesn't mean "a
year of bedrest". One thing that this situation means is that I'm in
pretty severe pain 24/7 even now. That's why I haven't been able to do
much of this art stuff directly, as much as I'd love to be working on
it. It means  you may see me online for 3 days straight (literally),
and you may see me gone for 3 days at a time. Basically I'm just
trying to make myself as available to the community as humanly
possible. So that's where I'm at right now.

I'll be back online (IRC) in about an hour if anyone wants to pick my
brain some more about what's going on in the Ubuntu art world.

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu