>Here's my attempt to get the conversation art-focused again.

I agree. There is a lot of art related work to be done.

One thing might be to identify projects and people who want to lead the
various projects. The doc team has done a good job of identifying
projects, people to work on them, where help is needed, etc. You might
want to look at their status page at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DocteamProjects

As for projects, near term things that would be helpful are listed at

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtTeam

I certainly am not saying that the ArtTeam needs to organise themselves
like the DocTeam, but I think they have set a good example.

Projects mentioned on the URL above include:

1. Ubuntu has a calendar function through which a new desktop can be
distributed every month.  It would be great for these images to come
from the community and it's a great way to showcase your efforts.  Maybe
a couple people could be in charge of figuring out how to do this (e.g.,
public voting, committee decision, CC decision,drawing names from a hat,
arm wrestling, whatever), encourage submissions, and then decide on the
6 calendar images for Breezy.  If you want your backgrounds in Breezy
calendar, this team and this list needs to discuss how to make that
happen.  This is more a social issue than a technical one of what
website/cms/project mgt tool/etc to use.

2. Icons.  A lot of work has been done on the icons, but there is more
to do.  See

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/IconGuide
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/HumilityIcons

That second link in particular has a lot of red in the status column and
we are only 4 weeks from release.

3. There have been many requests for an updated, consistent set of
website referral buttons, "powered by", etc.  There are various ones out
there, we have a couple versions on the wiki. It would help if we could
get to a consistent set that can be "official".

4. Posters for conferences.  We get requests for posters that LoCo teams
and LUGs can download and print for various conferences, meetings, etc.

And there are probably other projects that people here want to do -
those shouldn't be ignored. This is just a short, focused list to try to
build some momentum.  In all of these projects, there is an element of
artwork creation and there is also an element of team organisation and
decision-making that needs to be done.  Getting a handle on those things
will be critical in terms of taking on longer term, larger projects like
all the artwork for a given release.

Cheers,
Jane