I know that they indeed intend to make new system sounds for the
upcomming release Dapper Drake. It is also 100% sure they'd appreciate
any help they can get... I just don't know exactly where to get involved
in this...

You might want to look here:
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SoundEvents

And here (under SoundEvents)
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BreezyGoals

Please note that these pages are regarding the current release Breezy
Badger. The SoundEvents entry under the last link says that work is
defered to Dapper so I guess that is exactly something that should
interest you :-)

Cheers
Mikkel