On Thu, 2006-03-02 at 15:34 +0000, Who wrote:
> On 3/2/06, Nikolai Dunkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Hey everyone!
>
>         As I understand it we're supposed to be making coherent themes
>         for inclusion into ubuntu. I'm trying to "gather" people
>         around me here (mark's words) :D
>
>         So here's my idea: we make a "cool/stylish" theme, that doesnt
>         necessarily have to reflect "humanity" in every breath as the
>         default theme does. It's more about style. I'm gonna be so
>         bold as to suggest this attatched image as a background.
>         On the forums some people once started making a theme around
>         an old version of this image, maybe someone is interested in
>         doing one now?!
>
>         cheers, n.
>
>         more here
>         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask
>

> If you want to gather a team, I think that would be great - could you
> add the ideas to here:
>
> https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ArtworkTeam/AdditionalThemes
>
> I think that if we let everyone who wants to do a theme shoot off in
> their own
> direction before deciding on a small number fo themes to prefect  we
> will end up with many imcomplete attempts (no slur on you - just that
> I think it would be better if we focussed on 3 ideas, as Mark
> suggested) - thus, I reckon adding ideas to here until the 9th when
> the top 3 are chosen would be best - the voting and the three to use
> are on the meeting aganda for the weekend...
>
> I like the idea of s slick theme - check out Water Vapour (link in
> that wiki page) - see if you like it
>
> *waves flag for Water Vapour and NuovEXT
>
> Who
>
> On 3/2/06, Nikolai Dunkel <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>         Hey everyone!
>
>         As I understand it we're supposed to be making coherent themes
>         for inclusion into ubuntu. I'm trying to "gather" people
>         around me here (mark's words) :D
>
>         So here's my idea: we make a "cool/stylish" theme, that doesnt
>         necessarily have to reflect "humanity" in every breath as the
>         default theme does. It's more about style. I'm gonna be so
>         bold as to suggest this  image as a background.
>         On the forums some people once started making a theme around
>         an old version of this image, maybe someone is interested in
>         doing one now?!
>
>         cheers, n.
>
>         more here
>         https://wiki.ubuntu.com/UbuntuLogoMascotSuggestionMedicineMask

I think we should pick out three (or pick any number) basic ideas, and
base a theme on each one. Each theme-idea should be targeted at a
specific audience. Of the top of my head, base ideas could be:

I)  Stylish, glossy.
II) Flat, simple, fast.
III) Flashy, colorful, cartoonish  (gartoon iconset anyone :D)

I suggest these "Minimum Theme Requirements":

 - GTK theme (GT)
 - Metacity theme (MT)
 - Icon theme (IT)

- GT must go well with Firefox
- IT must contain Evolution stock icons

- Generally have an Ubuntu feel to it

Optional theme properties:

 - Other application stock icons. Fx. Gaim emoticons.
 - A suggested wallpaper
 - Various splashes

The reason why I include the last Evo point is that the theme should
really change the entire desktop. A theme should really change the feel
of the *entire* desktop. Half-***ed themes are only so much fun.

Cheers,
Mikkel