Mark Shuttleworth wrote:

I just did a virgin Dapper install, and the existing themes are by default pretty weak:

- the high contrast ones we need for accessibility (though they could be installed with the accessibility metapackage that is going to be done, Henrik is working on that IIRC)
That's not quite what we were planning. The high contrast themes were moved into the desktop seed because they can then be run easily from the Live CD with the F5 options. Also keep in mind that for a person with weak vision it can be very difficult to find the right package and install it. Esp. if they are also new to Linux.

That said, I don't think we need all those themes in the default install since the functionality somewhat overlaps. My suggestion would be to leave 'High Contrast Large Print' in the default, and move the other four to a separate package.

- Mist, Smokey, Ocean Dream, Simple, and Traditional... none of them are great

I also agree that these are quite dull. Much more interesting themes can be found on art.gnome and gnome-look.

- Henrik