2006/5/3, Pascal Klein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
Hey Matt,

Just an update. I had a go at this with some ideas I had recently about
some splash screens for myself, and they seem to work just as well, if
not better as a book cover.

You can find the files on:

http://klepas.org/temp/ubuntu/ubuntu-doc-cover-front.png
http://klepas.org/temp/ubuntu/ubuntu-doc-cover-front.svgz

This is just a draft. I've munted some of the colouration and sizes so
if you guys like this I'd be happy to polish it. Finally I also had some
other ideas of perhaps dropping in some faint technical blueprints or
something of the sort into the background. Would make it more
interesting personally as right now just having a logo, some text and a
plain background can get somewhat boring...

The login screen inspiration is good. As you mention yourself, the cover appears a bit bare.

I dislike the font - it is a minor gripe though - I'm more of a sans-serif guy :-) I tried experimenting with using the ubuntu-title font more on the cover, but it looked odd.

I made a few attempts myself - although I'm not proud of it, I'll put one them out for grabs anyway. Take it mostly as an idea-mockup. If there are any mathematicians among you guys, you'll surely notice my Springer-Verlag heritage :-D

Idea: http://grillbar.org/tmp/ubuntu-doc-cover-front-mke-revision2.svgz

Cheers,
Mikkel