style "clearlooks-notebook"
 {
   bg[ACTIVE]       = "#dddddd"
 }

Thanks for the help...

Bizzarelym if I wasn't going mad last night

bg[ACTIVE] = "#000000"

gives the _unfocussed_ tabs colour...
Could the fact that I am 'inheriting' clearlooks-default cuase the problems?

 Put this in the widget styles;
 class "GtkNotebook"    style "clearlooks-notebook"

 The ability to alter the bg normal of clearlooks cairo and ubuntulooks is
supposely being worked on.

 For the menuitem and square buttons you would have to modify the source and
recompile.

 IMO, the base selected and active colors are too similar and the active
should have dark text while the selected has white. Referring to textview. I
also have never thought the cairos buttons looks good colored, especially on
prelight. I think of it as....prelight, not predark.

hmm. I agree about the base colours, but I'm gonna stick with the
predark for now - it is one of the things I like about the theme.
Though, my scrollbars are prelight - and I like them too :P