I'm not a graphical designer, but I'm just kind of reading in on these
discussions. Hope you don't mind my input.

On Thu, 2006-06-01 at 17:01 +0200, Michiel Sikma wrote:
> No. Thinking that it's a good idea to listen to people who don't
> know
> anything about designing is a foolish thing. People really don't
> know
> much about that kind of stuff.

Julian isn't saying that the users should be choosing the direction that
the Ubuntu artwork should go, but to gain critique from them, so that
you, as the designers, can make better choices. Listening to people who
don't know what they're doing doesn't mean you have to follow what they
want. You guys are, of course, the graphical designers.

I think that you should extend into letting the community have more say
in what they want and don't want, because this is a distribution that
prides itself on its communication with the user base. You might hear or
see things that make you thing, "Wow, that could look pretty awesome".

Remember that by listening to people's ideas doesn't affect your
eventual judgement.

Tom Moitie