On Jul 8, 2006, at 2:05 AM, Kenneth Wimer wrote:

We make a pic which is 640x400 but will be shown most often at 640x480. Yes, we could get into discussions about how it works on everyones' systems, but let's avoid that. There is a good reason that things are done this way, and if you want a spanking, we can get a developer to scream it at us :-)

I only have Macs at home, some boot funky scaled, some boot in a small portion of the screen, so I understand the problems but, generally speaking, this method is correct for *most* computers. I have a *bit* of experience with splash's during boot (I co-authored the first linux bootsplash) and I have to say that I agree with this decision from a development side, given the situation and decisions made. It works on all platforms and run in user space, "out of the box" and without any problems, except the restrictions for the artwork and interface :-)

It will definitely require updating in the future, though. I'm certain that, in the long run, computers with 16:10-sized monitors will become more ubiquitous than the usual 4:3 monitors. Laptop sales are booming, and a lot of laptops have a 16:10 screen, widescreen LCDs are becoming more popular, and one could think that the whole widescreen TV hype might get something to do with it, too. I agree that most computers as of now still have 4:3, but I wouldn't discount the possibility of it being different in the future.

Michiel Sikma
[EMAIL PROTECTED]