On Dec 22, 2006, at 10:09 AM, Troy James Sobotka wrote:
> Nacho de los Ríos Tormo wrote:
>> That said, I'll try to tread more lightly in the future, although I'm
>> afraid we're all to happy with ourselves to garner too much progress.
>
> I don't believe that the artwork team is at all 'too happy with
> ourselves'.  To the best of my knowledge, we simply aren't in a
> position
> to offer alternatives at this juncture.

I think that hits the nail on the head.

Besides the efforts done by Troy and a small team of motivated people
on the U2 specifications and implementation, there is nothing
substantial going on except for some bike-shedding on the mailing
list. This wasn't meant to be offensive, I'm just trying to describe
the situation as objectively as I can.

There have been some initiatives to start up something by people like
Gianluca Sartori, which I admire, but without any clear direction and
someone in charge, I think a lot of these initiatives just fizzle and
die and I think this pretty much happened in that case.

I've been trying for weeks to get in touch with Mark regarding the
artwork plan for Feisty, if any, but haven't been able to solicit a
response as of yet. Besides Mark I've asked around a bit in the
developer team, but nobody has got any more information to share on
the subject.

For about one-and-a-half month I hung on to the idea of a new Artist
in Chief being appointed by Mark and stepping up to lead the
community. I would have gladly assisted her or him getting up to
speed and talking about what happened for Edgy, what worked and what
didn't.

Unfortunately, nothing happened and I received no replies to the
messages I sent out to Mark. I'm afraid that I've pretty much given
up the hope for Feisty and the near future.

Lately I've been in the situation of trying to explain to others and
myself what happened to the artwork community after my efforts for
Edgy and the only thing I can honestly answer is "nothing". That's
all there is to it and doesn't really brighten up your day if you
know what I went through.

Looking back to meeting with everyone in Paris and Wiesbaden it's
been a crazy journey which has taught me a lot of new things about
myself and made me realize that I had found something I gladly spent
my time on. I'm grateful for Mark sponsoring me and I think I made
the most of it.

I know I've written something like this before, but this time it's
different. Judging from the signs the time has come for me to step
back from Ubuntu artwork and development and focus on channeling my
energy elsewhere. Words can't tell you how much I appreciate your
involvement and efforts for the cause, thanks a lot.

Some time ago I made a list of the people around during Edgy because
I knew this day would arrive. I hope you are all reading this. There
are a few people in special who have made doing my work so much more
fun and entertaining, here you go:

Kenneth and Troy: thanks for the great time in Paris and being around
to discuss everything ranging from creepy people to pronouncing my
surname. I can't really begin to tell how much I appreciate your
support.

Étienne Bersace: even though you just hopped by in Paris, it was
great meeting you, I hope you enjoyed the visit then. Thanks for your
ongoing efforts for Ubuntu and the fact that you've been around for
so long already.

Jonathan Austin, Jozef Mak: thanks for the last weeks of Edgy, I know
it wasn't easy on you but you did very well.

Chuck Huber: thanks for your efforts on Peace and all the other
contributions you made, I enjoyed working with you.

Peter Savage: meeting up with you on IRC and TeamSpeak probably wins
you the most-fun-award. Thanks for the good times and the off-by-a-
beat-or-two intercontinental jam.

Viper550: I'm not sure if you're around here anymore, but thanks for
your ever present energy and artwork ideas. Godspeed with your work
on gNewSense.

Dennis Kaarsemaker: thanks for helping me out when I needed your
usplash-fu, that was really priceless.

Eric Schwenke: thanks so much for fixing the Edgy lsplash and
suggesting the orange emblems, it's great you made them.

Michiel Sikma: thanks for your efforts on the Dash team and your
involvement with the mailing list.

PingunZ: are you around or have you moved to Arch? Anyway, thanks for
your contributions, ideas and assisting Jonathan.

Niklas Weidel and Mikkel Kamstrup Erlandsen: I'm not sure if we ever
spoke or mailed eachother, but I've seen some great artwork from you
both so let me thank you for having been involved with Edgy and
delivering goods.

If your name isn't on that list, don't worry - it's probably just an
oversight on my side. I know there's a lot more people out there than
I can cram into a single list so feel free to reply and let me know
you are there still.

Besides all these artwork people, I'd also like to thank everyone on
the other teams that helped me out when I needed it. I'm thinking of
Daniel, Ian, Henrik, Matt, Colin, Scott, Tollef, Claire and Jane. And
of course Mark, thanks for listening to me on the first floor right
next to the elevator. I'm glad we got the numbers right eventually.

So, that's about it. When I joined the mailing list on April 12th of
this year I didn't know I would end up here, but eventually I did. I
hope you enjoyed it.

Merry Christmas to you all and be sure to make the most out of every
new year to come.

With kind regards,

Frank Schoep