What about some sort of laser to signify the disc burning and a
magnifying glass for the inspection portion?

Mike

Alan c wrote:
<The 'burning' suggestion in the K3b logo has always made me think of
destruction (!) rather than a creation process (that is, burning a CD
DVD etc), so I offer the thought that flames may not always give the
positive impression you want.

A testing situation puts me in mind of a question mark (?) and a
strongly moving probing activity - in your situation - brings to mind
an arrow or sharp point.

Combined these could become a question mark (or more than one) each
with a probing arrow at the end rather than a dot.