I read the proposal of a community theme that all of us can contribute to, (
https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ubuntu-art/2007-April/003858.html ) and I
think its a good idea. It'll be great to see what the community can do on
our own, with our own concepts, etc. The goal is to create a complete
community theme, that we can at least get into universe, and perhaps as an
alternative. The plan is to target Gutsy, but we could target the next LTS
release instead. Remember, that such an encompassing project can be broken
up into small manageable bits, that we could all contribute to, little by
little. Lets see how this evolves as we go on :)

I've created a wiki page--where we can start defining our direction, and
contributing concepts, etc.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Artwork/Incoming/CommunityTheme

We need people to express interest to get this going, so please, express
your thoughts and contribute to the wiki!

As an aside: My favorite earthy tone is that of rich red clay/mud.