I could not agree more. I really don't know why Ubuntu have this
"childish comic look" with default human theme if it self-proclaims to
be a "modern" alternative to Mac OS X or Microsoft's Vista. Did
somebody ever look at the Mac OS X icons?! Ubuntu is really well
established in solid kernel foundations, is rock stable, it has many
features that put it well in front of these other two, but final
users, simple users, as someone have said, want some eye candy too.
They see this as a signal of a really modern OS. And honestly, that's
not what Ubuntu brings by default.

Simple users don't want to know details about App Armor...they can't
see it! They want a beautiful (and functional) OS! Well, you can say
that with a few clicks you can change the entire look of Ubuntu, and
that is entirely  true, but hey, the first impression is what counts,
and when they put the live CD and see the look..

I really think that sometimes all the Ubuntu team (not only us!)
thinks that Ubuntu is replacing Windows XP in old machines that don't
run Vista, and so a "XP look" is enough..Our main enemy is not XP: is
the modern look that Leopard and Vista brought to new OS's, and that
is what final users see as a modern OS.

[]'s
Tiago Souza