Speaking of changes to gnome.  I can think of two small ones that would make a
huge difference.

1.  Ability to add a gradient to the panel bar w/o pixmaping it.
2.  Ability to grab a window from both the metacity title bar as well as the
blank space on the menubar.  Perhaps even the blank space on the tool bar.